1864 Dusty

Dear wife
The burning of Atlanta was the last straw. Although we fought to our last breath I have come to a realization, and I have come to accept defeat. The North calls us rebels and savages, Christ they burned a city to the ground stole or supply's and slaughtered our animals and lost millions of dollars in supply's not to mention they blew up an arsenal that could not be used against them. They call it a march it is more like a savage rampage that proves our point. My dear I fear it is not safe here anymore and I beg you to get you and the family out. Im am so sorry for the loss and I hope that you are not to be disappointed in me. With the advance of the Union I may not make it till the end.
Your husband
Fitzhugh Pittegrew

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Battle of Gettysburg

Screaming silence